Wednesday, January 21, 2009

A Day in History

I am so proud to have witnessed a day in history yesterday as our country inaugurated its first black president. Whether or not you like him, support him, or voted for him, you have to realize the significance of this day. May 17th, 1954 gave us Brown vs Board of Education- a monumental Supreme Court ruling that "separate educational facilities are inherently unequal." December 1st, 1955 is the day documented for when Rosa Parks refused to move to the back of the bus. A mere 55 years ago, black people were considered unequal and inferior, and yesterday a black man became president of the greatest country in the world.

As I watched President Obama take his oath and deliver his first speech as the leader of the free world, I felt my eyes start to water a little. My emotions weren't because of his words, but from the pride I felt at that moment- pride in my country for moving forward and seeing Barack Obama not as a black man, but as a potential leader for our country. And I was reminded that if the Democratic nominee had not been a black man, it would have been a women- another first for our country.

So as we move forward, making history as we go, I have more pride for my country than I ever have before. And I pray for the success of our new government, lead by President Barack Obama, because our success depends on it.

0 comments: